It’s that time of year — families and friends are gathering to celebrate the holidays. But that means there is a greater risk for fire. Following a few simple tips from NFPA that will help ensure a happy and fire-safe holiday season at your home.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
- Ask smokers to smoke outside. Remind smokers to keep their smoking materials with them so young children do not touch them.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers. Wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.